One of our favorite activities to bring to high school classrooms and beyond is Mad City Money, an interactive budgeting simulation where students take on a “new life” including a career, children, and debt! They are challenged to purchase a house, clothes, transportation, home goods and more to get a taste of real life.
Hosting Mad City Money can require 12-25 employees depending on the size of the class/group. The following guidelines have been established to help ensure that the event can be held successfully:
- Mad City Money is recommended to grades 9-12, and grades 6-8 with additional resources and help from teachers. It is also recommended to civic groups and non-profits working with adults who may be able to benefit from the program.
- We are limited to one larger group (50+ participants), two smaller groups (49 participants or less), or one larger group and one smaller group per month.
- A full-day session (6 hours with a break for lunch) is recommended for larger groups (50+ participants).
- A half-day session (3 hours) is recommended for smaller groups (49 participants or less).
- To ensure that the students have a strong understanding of the Mad City Money program, we recommend that the teachers/group leaders cover the introduction of Mad City Money and help complete the pre-work ahead of time.
- CCU will cover this at the beginning of the event but it is helpful if the participants have heard and seen things beforehand.
We are excited to partner with you and bring Mad City Money to your group! Please complete the form below and a member of our team will be in touch soon to get the process started.